Monday, October 8, 2007

Zoo trip








Another eventful weekend for our household. We took off Saturday for Iowa City. Adam's dad and stepmom were flying in to meet up with her sister prior to a trip to Israel. We left around 9:30am to stop with the kids at the Niabi Zoo. I had been to this zoo when I was young and didn't quite know what to expect. But hey, anything beats the Peoria zoo! The Niabi zoo was small, but very good for kids. I was pleasantly surprised how nice it was. They had this cute "Australian" section where it was open and a kangaroo or emu could walk on the sidewalk in front of you. I though that was pretty cool. The kids had fun feeding the goats and fish. My and I got to ride on the merry-go-round. The damn bees were my only complaint. I was freaking out.... I HATE bees! I felt bad acting like a 2 year old in front of the kids, but apparently I fear them more than I know. I loved the little strollers they had to rent for the kids. They were perfect. I have to add.... don't eat the hamburgers at this zoo... it was a brownish gray mystery meat. I am still alive to tell the tale, but I really don't know what I ate.
When we got to our Iowa City hotel we had some issues. We went to our room and it had the worst smell from smoke. Adam and I had headaches, there was no ventilation.. it was nasty. So we found a new place to stay that was much better and by the mall. I love the team spirit of Iowa City. You walk around and over half the people have a Hawkeye shirt on! I still don't know why I didn't check out that campus. I really really wanted to go there when I was in high school. No regrets with EIU. Thank goodness Mark Fauble didn't go to Western!!!
Anyhow, Maya colored a pic for a coloring contest which I thought was awesome. I also had to add the little blurb about AquaDots.

1 comment:

Jamie said...

Maya's coloring is awesome. I hope she wins the contest! Mystery meat must be a common presence in zoos, because we had some terrible burgers at the Milwaukee Zoo the first time we went there. We now pack sandwiches. Too bad Mark Fauble didn't go to Iowa, we'd have been there for sure!