Saturday, February 2, 2008
Vampires Fear Me
I realize, we all learn new things daily, but for me this little fact is something I did not realize and it has been an issue. It's about garlic. Our family loves garlic. We add it to everything. I try to cook with it whenever possible. I'll buy fresh garlic randomly, but usually we have the prediced jar in the refrigerator, or the garlic salt, pepper or powder in the cabinet. I like to try new recipes all the time, little did I know, I knew nothing about garlic. My first memorable issue was when we lived in Fairbanks, where I made a salsa. Holy moly, it was garlic city and the talk of the party. People would get people to try it and they'd never go back. I don't eat peppers, so I had no clue what it tasted like. Well a month ago, I made some hummus. Love hummus, and we've made it before. Generally, I just buy it premade or get my fill in a restaurant. Anyhow, New Year's hummus was garlic city. I emitted garlic from my pores for several days and just couldn't get the taste out of my mouth. What is the problem I thought? I followed these recipes to the T. Why is garlic playing tricks on me. I went and googled garlic and now I see the light. Me before the knowledge of garlic: a recipe takes 3 cloves of garlic.... I buy 3 fresh garlics at the store, peal and dice them all and add them to the recipe. Me after the knowledge of garlic: 1 garlic is technically called a bulb. 1 bulb of garlic holds around 10 cloves! I never new 1 clove of garlic was just 1 little section of the so-called garlic bulb. I've been adding many many many more time the garlic then needed. I was completely dumbfounded.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Do I dare ask if you are really blonde? Just joking! That is a lot of garlic. I love it too but think that would be way too much for my taste buds.
Yikes!! Honest, but very garlicy, mistake!
I always use the jarred minced stuff. It says on the top of the jar one clove = 1/2 tsp, which I always thought was hardly any, but do I usually go light on the garlic in my cooking. If I had ever attempted to use the fresh garlic, I would have made the same mistake as you, I always thought one of those little bulbs was a clove and didn't understand how one tsp of jarred could equal that whole thing. Makes sense now!
Post a Comment