So when I was in the shower having my alone time for the day, I was thinking about how my kids have done more by the ages of 3 and 4 than I had before age 18. For instance, Disney... my parents took the family when I was 16. M and B went when they were 2 and 3. They've taken many plane rides, my first one being age 17. I was talking to a friend while we were watching our daughters do gymnastics and we had similar reasons for having our kids in activities. I was telling her how I was never in anything. No dance, swim lessons, gymnastics, sports (until my freshman year in high school. Softball... by which time I was gonna not be very good anyway, cuz everyone else had been playing for years). Why no activities?? I am sure a number of things. My parents didn't have the money to do it. Maybe they didn't realize how much I wanted to do something. I did take piano lessons for a couple years which I do love. Anyhow, back to my girlfriend talk, she too was never involved and both of us said, we wanted our kids to have the chance to do these things cuz we didn't. I'm not living through the kids, but I want them to have fun and not feel left out. I want Maya to have the techniques down to be a cheerleader, just in case that is something she wants to do later on. Blah Blah Blah... the good thing is, my kids want to do these things. They love being active and playing with others. That being said, however, Brennan's first day of tumbling was awful. Something triggered the evil twin to come out and he was hitting, pinching, biting.. you name it. Yesterday, Maya had soccer practice. Poor Brennan was pissed again, as his sister got to kick balls on the gym floor and he didn't get to. I did feel bad, but these are the little issues with children this close together. One year makes a big difference at this age. Maya wasn't well behaved at class. Quite lazy to tell the truth. Like gymnastics, she gets one more chance to make an effort to learn the game or this "opportunity" will be taken away from her. "I'll listen next time. I promise" are her cries in the car as I tell her I am not going to waste our time if she's not even gonna try. Sassy little thing.
Saturday's school carnival went really well. The prize table was crazy, but I survived. I got to watch the cake walk go on, and I was happy to see my cake went third! (Winners chose the cake they wanted from 60 cakes) I ended up making a chocolate bear cake. My parents came and helped Adam with the kids. I think everyone had a fun time. Maya left with kid make-up.. oh boy! and Brennan with a bouncing Dora ball and truck. Maya says "There's always next year"... to get a better prize.
Adam is going to England next month for work. I think he'll be gone a just a couple of days, but who really knows. My only request.... bring back some Cadbury chocolate. Speaking of, my brother who works for Hershey, stocks Cadbury. He gave me a whole box (48) of cadbury eggs. Yum yum.
Nothing much else going on around here. Random birthday parties keep our weekends busy and the kids love a good party.
1 comment:
It's funny that you say that about the kids having so many opportunities in life and so many things. I want to give my kids all the stuff I never had when I was growing up but when I really think about it, I never felt deprived or felt like I was left wanting for anything when I was young. I'm sure my kids wouldn't care if they didn't have all the latest toys. I think it's me that wants to play with them, not them!
Post a Comment