We boarded an hour train to Brussels from Bruges. Brussels surprised me the most. I couldn't believe what a city it was. For a second, I thought I was in Chicago. We had a small issue finding our hotel upon arrival, but that's just because street signs seem pretty nonexistant throughout our travels. So Brussels, a lot of businessmen. Lots of trendy shoppers. We were probably noted as tourists because we lacked a trendy, thick scarf and knee high boots worn over the jeans. Seriously, everybody looked good. We went to the Grand Place which is a square of old architecture built in the 1400's. Did you know Brussels is the headquarters for NATO? I'm sure we all should and maybe we do, I didn't. Anyhow, we took a bus tour of Brussels and I'm glad we did because we wouldn't have even seen a tenth of Brussels if we hadn't. One of the fun stops on the tour was the Atonium, which was a part of the 1958 World Fair. It was the only time we gave someone our camera on the trip to take a picture of both of us. Figured they are on the tour, they can't run off with the camera. We saw the famous Manneken-Pis statue, tiny boy peeing. Most of all I think a trip to Brussels can be based around beer and food. And what do you eat while in Brussels? Mussels of course. I had my mussel meal and I ate it all to Adam's surprise. Forgot the camera for that night. We tried as many beers as we could, and never found one we wouldn't have again. Overall, it was quite a trip. It was so nice to see a part of the world not using cell phones, walking on their feet and just plain happy. Other strange observations, there were no overweight people, didn't see too many children and it rained all the time. Everyone knew 2 or more languages and chicken was more expensive than seafood. I wish we could all be a little more European. Although, they seem to love New York and the Yankees.
Wednesday, November 21, 2007
And finally, Brussels
We boarded an hour train to Brussels from Bruges. Brussels surprised me the most. I couldn't believe what a city it was. For a second, I thought I was in Chicago. We had a small issue finding our hotel upon arrival, but that's just because street signs seem pretty nonexistant throughout our travels. So Brussels, a lot of businessmen. Lots of trendy shoppers. We were probably noted as tourists because we lacked a trendy, thick scarf and knee high boots worn over the jeans. Seriously, everybody looked good. We went to the Grand Place which is a square of old architecture built in the 1400's. Did you know Brussels is the headquarters for NATO? I'm sure we all should and maybe we do, I didn't. Anyhow, we took a bus tour of Brussels and I'm glad we did because we wouldn't have even seen a tenth of Brussels if we hadn't. One of the fun stops on the tour was the Atonium, which was a part of the 1958 World Fair. It was the only time we gave someone our camera on the trip to take a picture of both of us. Figured they are on the tour, they can't run off with the camera. We saw the famous Manneken-Pis statue, tiny boy peeing. Most of all I think a trip to Brussels can be based around beer and food. And what do you eat while in Brussels? Mussels of course. I had my mussel meal and I ate it all to Adam's surprise. Forgot the camera for that night. We tried as many beers as we could, and never found one we wouldn't have again. Overall, it was quite a trip. It was so nice to see a part of the world not using cell phones, walking on their feet and just plain happy. Other strange observations, there were no overweight people, didn't see too many children and it rained all the time. Everyone knew 2 or more languages and chicken was more expensive than seafood. I wish we could all be a little more European. Although, they seem to love New York and the Yankees.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment